How to Keep Your Commercial Fridge Fresh & Clean
Posted on 30th October 2019 by Keith Hirst
Every commercial establishment has a fridge — some more focal to the business than others. In any case, an unclean, foul-smelling fridge is a health hazard and a poor reflection of your business. The experienced staff at Direct Cleaning Services have a selection of tips for keeping your fridge fresh and clean.
A small office fridge used almost exclusively for storing employees’ lunch will require regular cleaning to maintain freshness. It may be smaller and possess fewer components than a large commercial fridge, but the contents of your office fridge aren’t being monitored as closely, and food can easily spoil.
How to clean office fridges:
- Turn off the appliance and remove all food. Check to see if any food has expired or is simply unusable. Throw these items in the bins and store the remaining food in a different fridge or a cooler temporarily if possible.
- Soak removable shelves and drawers of your fridge in the sink with hot soapy water.
- Any non-removable shelves or drawers should be wiped with a cloth and a solution of water and vinegar.
How to make the office fridges smell nice:
Forget harsh chemicals, there are a variety of methods to achieve a fresh fridge smell using all-natural ingredients.
- Place an open box of baking soda in your fridge. Baking soda absorbs bad smells, leaving the fridge smelling fresh.
- Coffee grounds also absorb odours. Add an uncovered bowl of coffee grounds to your fridge.
- For particularly pungent smells, use a combination of baking soda and coffee grounds.
- An unorthodox but effective method is to hollow out a lemon, grapefruit or orange and fill it with salt. The salt will absorb moisture and odours and draw out the smell of the fruit. When the salt is damp, dispose of it and replace.
Commercial/industrial fridges are typically used in the catering industry and are a much more central component of the business. For this reason, keeping your fridge fresh and clean is critical. Failing to do so can lead to the closure of your business.
- Clean the exterior of the fridge thoroughly using a cloth dampened with soap and water.
- Use a mixture of soap and water to clean the interior thoroughly. If you notice mould or mildew present, use a solution of diluted bleach and water.
- Check that the door gaskets are sealed all the way around. A break in the gasket can allow warm air to enter, causing a build-up of condensation. Make sure you clean the gaskets by wiping them down with a cloth dampened with soapy water.
- The condenser coil should be cleaned monthly. Use a refrigerator coil brush to remove any dust and dirt from the coils. Use a vacuum to suck up the excess.
- Drain lines require professional cleaning once a year. A professional cleaning service will ensure that drain lines are completely free of debris and mould.
Invest in a professional cleaning service to ensure that the fridges in your working environment are not hazardous to your workforce or customers. Here at Direct Cleaning Services, we offer a variety of commercial cleaning services tailored to the needs of your business. Our experienced and qualified cleaners serve customers across Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and the surrounding areas. Get in touch today to hear more.